St Mary’s Church: Pryse Pryse gave a gallery of free sittings costing £200 (6.05.1821, Carmarthen Journal)
The following were buried in St Mary’s Church cemetery:
- 1821 18/1 Margaret Michael wife of Wm aged 47
- 1821 1/2 John Davies, master of Union aged 57
- 1821 12/2 Elizabeth Griffiths, wife of John, shipwright aged 36
- 1821 16/3 Mathias, Joseph, merchant aged 24
- 1821 14/5 Davies, Enoch aged 8
- 1821 5/7 Jonathan, Catharine dau of David aged 7
- 1821 5/7 Bowen, Jane wi of David aged 87
1821 3/10 William James, 29 was executed for housebreaking and theft:
A ballad was written by J. Lloyd, Cardigan on 13 Oct 1821. It was printed by Evan Jones, Heol-y-prior, Caerfyrddin.
Ystyria lwybr dy draed a threfna dy holl ffyrdd yn uniawn – Diarh (Prov) 4, 26
Yn Aberteifi fe ddigwyddodd
Tro ar gyhoedd yr holl dre.
Eu fath ni fu ers ugain mlynedd
O’r blaen o fewn magwyry’r lle.
Dihenyddiwyd ar y grogbren
Fachgen ieuangc heini llon
Trwy yspeilio a lladratta
Daeth ef i’r sefyllfa hon.
[Rough (very) translation:]
In Cardigan it happened
An unfortunate incident on the town’s populace.
No such thing has happened for 20 years
Before in this place
Hanged on the gallows
A young athletic happy man
For plundering and stealing
He came to this situation.
- 1821 9/11 Griffiths, Isaac aged 5
- 1821 16/11 Morgan, David son of Lewis, mariner, Mwldan aged 27