Cardigan People 46: Derek Greenslade Childs

from William St. to Llandaf Cathedral;
from a baker’s son to Archbishop of Wales

Derek Greenslade Childs (14 January 1918 – 18 March 1987)

According to ‘Wikipedia’ Childs grew up in Laugharne. No mention is made of his birthplace.

He has not reached the Dictionary of Welsh Biography yet.

But Derek Greensalde Childs was baptised on 10 March 1918 at St Mary’s Church, Cardigan by B. J. Jones, the curate. His parents were Alfred John and Florence Theodosa. The address given was 17 William St., Cardigan

Alfred came originally from Laugharne, and Florence (Jones) lived in 17 William St. They were married on 17 March 1916 at St Mary’s Church. Presumably Alfred came to live in Cardigan at that time. His occupation is given as baker.

Derek was educated at Whitland Grammar School, before reading history at University College, Cardiff. He studied theology at Salisbury Theological College, before being ordained in 1942.

Derrick Greenslade Childs was the Anglican Bishop of Monmouth (1970-86) and Archbishop of Wales (1983-86).

He died as a result of a motor accident in 1987.

Living authority: Essays in memory of Archbishop Derrick Childs was published in 1990.

29 August (1923) Unveiling the Cenotaph

 

Remembrance Day 1932: Canon Hamer, David Williams, the mayor, Tommy Jeremiah, one of the mace bearers and other.
Remembrance Day 1932: Canon Hamer, David Williams, the mayor, Tommy Jeremiah, one of the mace bearers and others.

 

  • 29 1923 (Wed.) A rainy day: Ceremony of Unveiling the Cenotaph by Maj Gen S F Mott, CB at 2.30; Naval contingent was under Chief Gunner Moore RN, and the military under Capt Evan Davies MC. Maj Gen Mott was a guest of Sir Lawrence Jenkins and Lady Jenkins at Cilbronnau. Gen was accompanied to the cenotaph by Sir Lawrence Jenkins SC, Grismond Phillips, Cwmgwili, W. Picton Evans and Glodydd Jenkins son of Sir Lawrence.

Procession was headed by naval and military guard of honour, followed by local Scouts and Girl Guides, relatives of the fallen carrying floral offerings, Mayor of Cardigan, Ald Dan Williams, attired in his robes and chain of office, along with mace bearers, members of the Town Council, local magistrates, ministers of religion, and the general public.

 

7 June (1877) New church organ

  • 7 1877 (Thurs.) New Church organ dedicated. It was erected by Messrs. Foster and Andrews of Hull. Services began in the morning with a sermon preached by the Lord Bishop of St Davids, and in the evening by Revd O. A. Nares, Letterston. Mr Videon Harding of Carmarthen played the organ.  Services continued until 17 th June with many of the local clergymen taking part.