Posters from the Keith Ladd collection. Thanks to Keith
William J. Morgan (1902–80)
Headmaster of the Cardigan Junior School, 1931–1968. Previously schoolmaster at Ferwig Primary school. Town councillor, 1937–1952. Mayor in 1942, alderman in 1949. Appointed deacon at Bethania Chapel in 1937.
Richard Fugle [d.1945?], Arthur Davies, Mr. ?Sneade
Richard Fugle and Arthur Davies’ s names appear on the town Cenotaph. [More to come…]
Mrs Gwladys Llewelyn, Dolwerdd (1886–1977)
wife of Thomas Llewelyn, Dolwerdd, chemist, High St.
L-r Rhiannon Davies, ?, Stuart Ladd, Jane Thomas, ?, Dewi Lloyd, headmaster
Back row, l-r: Mrs Eirlys Jones, Marteine Richards, Mrs Lynwen ap Gwynedd, Clr. T. Haydn Lewis, ?, John Adams-Lewis, Mrs. Rhian Sollis, D. Gatehouse, Clr D. M. B.Davies.
Front row, l-r: Dyfrig Davies, Dr Gwynfor Griffiths, headmaster, Llwyd Edwards, Islwyn Evans, ?, N. Newland.
An exhibition was held a few years ago to raise money for an upgrade to the gymnasium. The collection of over 200 photographs is now included on the “Cardigan through the ages” website. Thanks are due to KEITH LADD for permission to include this material from his vast collection on the history of Cardigan. Diolch yn fawr Keith.
The photographs have been arranged in order of decade. PLEASE send names if you recognize anyone. If you have any photographs, or memories that you wish to include please send them on.
- 26 1936 (Sat.) Cardigan County School reunion of old pupils with a hockey and rugby match. Tea in Central Hall at 4.00
- 23 1880 (Thurs.) D M Palmer Headmaster:
I have had the honour of examining the scholars of the Grammar School, Cardigan, in the Greek and Latin languages, in French, and Scripture History, and it affords me very great pleasure to be able to send in the following report:
The work done by the senior classes in the Aenid of Virgil, in Cicero’s De Senectute, and in Caesar’s Gallic Wars, respectively, as well as in the Anabasis of Xenophon, was highly satisfactory.
The various extracts from the originals were, as a rule, very faithfully rendered in English, though some excelled the others in the elegancy and correctness of their composition.
I was also very much pleased with the accuracy of many of the papers in French Grammar. The translation of the extracts from Charles XII, was, on the whole, very correctly done.
The good old days before PISAS and SATS!
- 18 1963 (Wed.) Performance of Iolanthe, Gilbert & Sullivan at the Cardigan Grammar School.
- 18 1940 (Wed.) Performance of The Mikado, Gilbert & Sullivan at the Cardigan Grammar School.
- 21 1955 (Mon.) Second day of the 3rd Jubilee Meetings at Capel Mair
- 21 1896 (Sat.) National School closed for a week due to mumps
- 20 1936 (Fri.) Opening Ball at the County School gymnasium. 200 present. Music by Carl Wynne and his Ambassadors Band, from Llanelli.
- 20 1848 (Mon.) “Children are to come to school clean”: Boys National School Rules
- 4 1895 (Mon.) Intermediate School for Boys opened at the Grammar School. Staff included Mr D. M. Palmer, BA, Mr Charles Owen BA, and Miss Gladdish BA. 30 boys were present on opening day. Later the girls started in 1896 at a spare room at the Board School, Pendre and 17 girls were enrolled on the first day. The ‘County School’ was officially opened on 23 Sept 1898.
- 23 1898 (Fri.) Official opening of the County School: by CED Morgan-Richardson. Speakers included : Vaughan Davies MP, W. O. Brigstoke, Pembs MP, Wynford Phillips, Capt Jones Parry and Prof Morgan Lewis.
- 22 1953 (Tues.) Opening of Ysgol Gynradd Aberteifi by Ald. M. Ll. Garnant Williams, JP at 2.00
- 7 1953 (Mon.) 212 pupils on the register at St Mary’s School, Pontycleifion.
- 26 1899 (Sat.) Death of Henry Rowland Daniel, aged 39 yrs. Among other things he was a Town Councillor and solicitor of the local branch of the NUT
- 30 1898 (Sat.) Scholarship exams held for Cardigan County school: 6 for boys and 5 for girls.
- 18 1968 (Thurs.) Opening of Junior School at a cost of £58, 000.
- 9 1939 (Fri.) ‘Gwraig y Ffermwr’, performed by the Cardigan County School Dramatic Society, under Miss Gwennant Davies. Proceeds towards liquidation of debt on town tennis courts
- 6 1952 (Fri.) Official opening of the gate to the County Secondary school, by Roderic Bowen MP. Admiral H. W. W. Hope CB, CVO, DSO, JP, DL unveiled the Memorial Plaque bearing the names of the Fallen. Procession then moved on to Tabernacle Chapel .
- 3 1984 (Sun.) Death of Miss S R Owen B.A. , schoolmistress and mayor in 1971. She retired from the County School as a mathematics teacher in 1966. Before this she ran a private school ‘Bodowen Private School’ for many years. She graduated in history from Cardiff University. She was the daughter of G. D. Owen, a local coal merchant and a cousin to Professor L V Owen. She was a member of St Mary’s Church.
- 18 2009 (Mon.) Death of Dewi Maelor Lloyd (79), former headmaster of the Secondary School (1979–90)
- 18 1986 (Sun.) Inauguration of the National Shrine to Our Lady of the Taper by Most Rev John Aloysius Ward, Rt Rev James Hannigan, Rt Rev Daniel J Mullins
- 18 1869 (Tues.) Capel Mair John Daniel given contract. Cost £1,049 + materials from demolition of Old Chapel.
- 17 1976 (Llun) Death of Bedwyr Davies, Siop y Castell, 36 years old.
- 17 1953 (Sun.) Cardigan Semi-national Eisteddfod Celebrity Concert: Treorchy Male Voice Choir, Sop Victoria Elliot (soprano); Afred Orda (international baritone)
- 17 1917 (Thurs.) Burial of David Morgan Palmer, Cardigan, St Mary’s Terr, 17 May 1917, 84, former school master
- 12 1897 (Tues.) Intermediate School: laying memorial stones in the front wall of the new Intermediate School. 5 stones were laid by Mrs Morgan Richardson, Noyaddwilym, Mrs (Dr) Phillips, Bank House, Mrs W Lewis, Lloyds Bank, Mr W J Williams, Mayor, Revd John Williams, Bethania, chairman of school governors.