- 22 1897 (Tues.) Victoria Gardens officially opened by Evelyn Morgan-Richardson. Rifles Volunteer Band, leader Colour Sgt Tom Lewis, played and entertained the public at the stand. 600 children entertained to tea at the Corn Market by the Mayor W J Williams, solicitor, and Mayoress.
- 12 1897 (Tues.) Intermediate School: laying memorial stones in the front wall of the new Intermediate School. 5 stones were laid by Mrs Morgan Richardson, Noyaddwilym, Mrs (Dr) Phillips, Bank House, Mrs W Lewis, Lloyds Bank, Mr W J Williams, Mayor, Revd John Williams, Bethania, chairman of school governors.
12 1897 (Gwe.) In a Council meeting Cllr. W. J. Williams was presented with a silver cradle as a gift on the birth of his daughter during his year of office as mayor – the first gift a town mayor had received since 1647 when Jacobus Phillips, Tregibby presented the maces.