- 15 1950 (Fri.) New Mayrol robes presented by the Womens Institute.
7 December (1964) Cardigan Rotary Club begins
- 7 1964 (Mon.) Inauguration of the Cardigan Rotary Club, at the Cliff Hotel with 27 founder members. Chartered on 10 Feb 1965 at the Dragon Hotel, Swansea.
31 October (1928) 1st annual dinner of the Buffs in the Black Lion
- 31 1928 (Wed.) 1st annual dinner of the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes banquet held at Black Lion.
19 October (1956) Young Conservatives Whist Drive in the Guildhall
- 19 1956 (Fri.) Young Conservatives Whist Drive at the Guild Hall
18 October (1880) Cardigan Literary Soc. lecture
- 18 1880 (Thurs.) The Rev. W. Q. Davies, B.D., delivered the opening lecture in connection with the Cardigan Literary Society. The subject chosen was ‘Proverbs and their interpretation’ and the lecture was very able and interesting. Mr. T. Davies, Bank House, occupied the chair, and there was a very fair audience.
4 October (1940) Fire at the Cliff Hotel
- 4 1940 (Fri.) Fire at the Cliff Hotel caused £200 of damage
- 4 1892 (Tues.) Death of Col. C W Miles, owner of the Priory Estate at Burton Hill House, Malmesbury, Wiltshire. 6th son of Mr Philip John Miles, MP, Col Miles was succeeded by his son Capt Napier Miles of the First Life Guards.
- 4 1843 (Wed.) Y Gwir Iforiaid (Cardigan Lodge of the True Ivorites) composed of 129 full members.
12 September (1953) Visit of Gladys Aylward
- 12 1953 (Sat.) Visit of Gladys Aylward to Bethania at 7pm
- 12 1952 (Fri.) Cardigan and Soroptomists Club founded
6 August (1976) Tafodau Teifi at the National Eisteddfod!
- 6 1976 (Fri.) National Eisteddfod: Welsh Language Society Noson Lawen: Dafydd Iwan, Elfyn Lewis, Mynediad am Ddim, Edward H. Dafis
- 6 1965 (Fri.) Scouser Alun Owen opens the Cardigan Art Society Exhibition
- 6 1913 (Wed.) Birth of Roderic Bowen
18 June (1880) Revd John Williams begins his ministry at Bethania
- 18 1760 (Sat) 1st official meeting of the Sea Sarjants, in the Long Room, Black Lion.
- 18 1880 (Fri.) Revd John Williams begins his ministry in Bethania. He arrived in Bethania from Birkenhead. A native of Llansadwrn, he was a popular minister and a prominent individual in the political life of the town and county. He became a member of the Cardigan School Board in 1882, and a chairman of that body ten years later. In 1895 – a year before the new school opened – he became a chairman of the Board of Governers of the Secondary School and he remianed so until his resignation in 1913. He was elected again in 1929. He became a county councillor shortly after the establishment of the County Council in 1889 and he was a chairman twice, in 1894–5 and again in 1914–15. He was elected alderman in 1916. He served on almost every committee on the County Council and he was chairman of the education committee for three consecutive years and a chairman of the police committee twice. He was also a member of the Court of Aberystwyth and Cardiff colleges for many years. In 1903 he became a member of the Board of Guardians and from 1911 onwards was the chairman. He was also chairman of the Cardigan and District Education Committee and a chairman of the local Pension committee. He served as a JP for many years.
He also climbed the ranks within the Baptists and achieved presidency of the Baptist Union of Wales in 1905. He was a staunch Liberal and when he died in 1929 the officials of Bethania received a telegram from the former Prime Minister David Lloyd George:
‘Deeply regret to hear of the death of my old friend, Rev. John Williams … It will be a real loss not only to Cardiganshire but to Liberalism throughout Wales.’
Revd John Williams was probably one of the most influential person in Cardigan during the end of the 19th century and the first decades of the 2oth century.
31 May (1827) Foundation stone of Castle Green laid.
- 31 1916 (Wed.) Burial of William Woodward,Caerleon House, Pendre, 78, estate agent
- 31 1827 (Thurs.) Foundation Stone of Castle Green laid.
- 31 1824 (Mon.) Cymmrodorion’s 1st meeting
3 May (1824) Cymreigyddion established in the Angel
- 3 1824 (Mon.) Cymdeithas Cymreigyddion Aberteifi was established at the Angel. Meetings were held on 1st Wed in each month. Present in the first meeting: Thomas Bowen, esq.,; vice pres Stephen Williams; chairman Rev John Herring, minister at Bethania; treasurer David Mathias; sec James Jones; poet J M Jones (Ioan Cunllo)
Cymdeithas, urddas a harddwch – y wlad
A’i haelodau harddflwch;
Ac eres dan Gwladgarwch
Trwy’n mynwesau’n fflamiau fflwch.
Brwd haf yn Aberteifi – yw weithian
Ar yr Iaith lan wisgi;
Boneddion, bawb, yn noddi
Ffrydiau per ei phurdeb hi.
3 April (1925) Death of Revd George Hughes, Mount Zion
- 3 1942 (Fri.) Cardigan Boys Club Formed
- 3 1925 (Fri.) Death of George Hughes, Llanberis, Cardigan, 79 oed, Minister of Gospel at Mount Zion since 1880.
30 March (1985) The day Cardigan’s bookies were in tears!
- 30 1985 (Sat.) Hywel Davies’s big day winning the Grand National on Last Suspect at 50-1
History of the 1985 Grand National
- 30 1908 (Mon.) Freemasons formed at Black Lion. Earliest members included William Woodward, David Davies solicitor, Llewelyn Davies, schoolmaster, D. Lloyd Jones, bank manager, G. W. Potter, Dr George E. Jones, Jenkin Jones, H. Nicholson, and M. L. Jones.
- 30 1970 (Mon.) Tudor James, 7 Priory St., takes over newspaper round from J. C. Roberts, High St.
27 March (1929) Cardigan WI formed
- 27 1970 (Fri.) Shops open for the first time on Good Friday.
- 27 1929 (Wed.) Cardigan WI formed.
14 February (1969) FWA arrives in Cardigan
- 14 1969 (Fri.) An advert appeared in the Tivy-side by the local FWA representative.
- 14 1930 (Fri.) Cardigan Arms, 3 College Row, now open on Saturdays 11.30-11.00 for the sale of fried fish and chips.
- 14 1927 (Mon.) Burial of Evan Ceredig Evans, 74 years old, Brynsiriol, North Rd, retired chemist.
31 January (1970) Hundreds of farmers on the streets of Cardigan to ‘welcome’ James Callaghan
- 31 1970 (Sat.) Hundreds of farmers demonstrated during the visit of James Callaghan.
- 31 1930 (Fri.) Cymmrodorion meeting at Capel Mair. John E. Jones, Llanbrynmair presented ‘Noson gyda’r delyn’.
15 January (1932) Loyal Order of Moose arrive in Cardigan
- 15 1932 (Fri.) Loyal Order of Moose instituted by the Regional Extension Officer, Brother Rhys Davies at the Guildhall.
8 January (1872) Fire at J. R. Daniel
- 8 1872 (Mon.) Oddfellows movement instituted in Cardigan. Some will claim to have seen odd fellows in Cardigan before this date!
- 8 1872 (Mon.) Fire destroyed premises of J. R. Daniel, Cabinet Maker, St. Mary’s Street. The Council met and decided to purchase a Fire Engine. A manual Fire Engine cost £102. The money was to be raised by public subscription. Not really surprising then that a second hand fire engine (called ‘Ada’ from Neath), was not bought until the early 1930s! Until then it was buckets only.
- 8 1867 (Tues.) ‘John Stuart’ lifeboat rescues the ‘Coronation’ of Bideford.
2 January (1917) Mechanics Institute come to an end
- 2 1917 (Tues.) A meeting was held to bring the Mechanics Institute to an end.