A new 48 page book on the history of Cardigan Castle, and a guide to the castle for visitors has been published. Copies available form the Castle – now open. A Welsh language version will be available soon.
- 21 1897 (Mon.) Inquest to the death of Master George Aubrey Davies, who was found dead in his room on Saturday evening at Castle Green. He was discovered with a bullet wound to the head. The verdict was accidental death. He had only returned home from College on Thursday for his holidays. In 1890 his brother lost an arm through the explosion of a gun whilst shooting wild ducks in a boat on the Teifi.
- 23 1284 (Thurs.) Edward I resident at Cardigan Castle. He is reported to have commented: “It’ll be nice when it’s finished”
- 9 1993 (Sat.) Unveiling of the Eisteddfod memorial Plaque in front of the Castle walls.
- 5 1976 (Thurs.) National Eisteddfod: Chairing of the Bard: Alan Llwyd ‘Y Gwanwyn’ (Spring)
- 5 1968 (Sun.) Graffiti on Castle walls: ‘Free Wales’ and ‘Freedom not Royalty’. The mayor Percy Griffiths was ‘absolutely disgusted’. 1969 was getting closer!
- 5 1950 (Sat.) Miss Cardigan 1950 was… Miss Rita Ward, Melrose, Morgan St, (a member of staff at Nugent’s the chemist)
- 1 1921 Town Council decided to tar-spray the main streets of the town for the first time.
- 1 1866 (Fri.) First issue of the Cardigan and Tivy-side. Happy 147th birthday!
Its first editorial declared: ‘We intend making ‘all mankind our business’ – our native land particularly so; and our native town we shall consider under our peculiar care. Its interests, whether generally as a part of the body politic or locally, shall have our special advocacy; and whatever is calculated to advance its trade, to raise its political position, or to add to the social comforts of its inhabitants, shall have our hearty assistance’.
- 1 1295 Visit of Edward I to Cardigan Castle. He stayed for 2 nights only. [Nothing much on in the Pav perhaps?]
- 31 1916 (Wed.) Burial of William Woodward,Caerleon House, Pendre, 78, estate agent
- 31 1827 (Thurs.) Foundation Stone of Castle Green laid.
- 31 1824 (Mon.) Cymmrodorion’s 1st meeting
- 8 2013 (Fri.) Castle stanchions removed at 12.00 – well one of them!
- 8 1949 (Tues.) Côr Telyn Eryri appear at the Tabernacle 7.30. ‘one of the best concert parties in Wales today’.
- 8 1878 (Fri.) Death of Benjamin Davies, Pwllhai, ostler at Black Lion, after a long illness.
- 15 2013 (Fri.) Work begins on £11m castle restoration (This will be history tomorrow!)