From the Keith Ladd Collection (with grateful thanks)
Bowen Brothers: 1897
Jenkins the Hairdressers: 1960s
Veteran Horse Welfare
Glans Radio: 1960s
Original Factory Shop
W. H. Smith
J. Clougher & Son: 1930s
Black Lion Hotel
Canfas Art Gallery
Morgan the Realm
D. W. Griffiths
Any memories of these places? Any questions?
Please get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org
Comments? Please leave a reply below:
- 31 1983 (Sat.) Bon Marche closed. When the shop opened in 1907: “The support of the upper structure of the premises is by an iron girder weighing over five tons, which does away with all columns, and gives additional space internally. It is the first of its kind in Cardigan.”
- 31 1887 (Sat.) Reported that a crayon study by Frank Miles was to appear in the January edition of Cassell’s Magazine.
- 16 1966 (Fri.) Pride Moreta of Thorn (Snowflake, bull) saved from the butchers!
- 16 1948 (Thurs.) Pav: Variety Concert: Al Roberts and Dorothy renowned BBC and TV ventriloquist presenting Granfer, Grandma and George and Dorothy. Conjuring, mimicry, cartoons and rag pictures. See him play tunes on a toy ballon and a bicycle pump. Once seen – never to be forgotten. Accompanist Mrs Wynne-Evans, LRAM, ARCM. Chairman Dr Gwyn Jones; Compere T H Evans, St Dogmaels. Buses will run to all districts after the Concert.
- 12 1986 (Fri.) Worst floods in living memory down in the Mwldan
- 12 1963 (Thurs.) Opening of Henry Tudor Restaurant, Priory St
- 12 1890 (Fri.) Burial of Joseph Clougher, High St,73, stationer
- 12 1867 (Thurs.) £4 missing from a missionary box at Bethania.
- 9 1968 (Mon.) Treharne Tyres and Batteries opens in Bath-house Road.
- 9 1918 (Mon.) Town Council decide to offer the freedom of the Borough to Lloyd George.
- 3 1964 (Tues.) Cardigan Arms reopens from 11.30 a.m. under new ownership – Mrs M. Owen, Avondale.
- 21 1986 (Sun.) Revd J. Arwyn Phillips begins his ministry at Capel Mair.
- 21 1953 (Mon.) Miss M. E. Nugent, L. Ch opens a chiropodist practice at the premises of G. J. Nugent, High St.
- 10 1951 (Mon.) Opening of Home and Colonial Stores (replacing W. Rees & Co.), 24 High St.
- 10 1897 (Fri.) Another Sale of the Priory Estate
- 3 1970 (Thurs.) Opening of Ideal Foodstores on the High St. (Currently Peacocks). 10.00 a.m. D J E Davies as manager. Opened by the mayor Clr and Mrs D. Terry Thomas.
- 14 1888 (Tues.) Burial of Mr. William. James, ironmonger, Gwalia House, 42 years of age. ‘Shutters were put up, and blinds were drawn along the route to the cemetery’.
- 14 1682 (Mon.) Bonaventure of Lancaster, master Thomas Sweeting from Liverpool with 100 lb of salt.
- 3 1976 (Tues.) National Eisteddfod: Alan Llwyd won the crown for ‘Troeon Bywyd’ (Life’s Trials)
- 3 1883 (Wed.) Coffee Tavern opened in Priory Street.
- 2 1940 (Fri.)The Delicatessen has opened at 55 Pendre (formerly Melias Ltd) under Mr and Mrs E N Picton
- 2 1938 (Tues.) Severe storm damaging chimneys and lightning striking substation at Pwllhai
- 29 1915 (Thurs.) Burial of Alfred Martin Webb, Pendre, 64, jeweller
- 22 1966 (Fri.) Opening of Fashion Trend, 46 Pendre
- 22 1896 (Wed.) Mrs Richards, matron of the workhouse treats the children with a trip to Poppit
- 12 1900 (Thurs.) Burial of John Turner Mathias, Feidrfair, 43, Boot & Shoe Dealer
- 12 1888 (Thurs.) Silver medal awarded to William Niles, coxswain of lifeboat for 29 years who saved 85 lives.
- 12 1853 (Tues.) Death of Isaac Thomas (1820–53), publisher of Almanac y Cymro. It was printed by D.Leary & Co., Dublin to avoid printing tax. He was buried at the Baptist Chapel, Penybryn.
- 29 1953 (Fri.) Fecci opened restaurant at 12 Pendre.
- 23 1969 (Fri.) Gina’s opened in High St
- 23 1950 (Tues.) Visit of Ringland Circus – the best for many years.
- 17 1976 (Llun) Death of Bedwyr Davies, Siop y Castell, 36 years old.
- 17 1953 (Sun.) Cardigan Semi-national Eisteddfod Celebrity Concert: Treorchy Male Voice Choir, Sop Victoria Elliot (soprano); Afred Orda (international baritone)
- 17 1917 (Thurs.) Burial of David Morgan Palmer, Cardigan, St Mary’s Terr, 17 May 1917, 84, former school master
- 16 1970 (Sat.) J C Roberts shop closing (High St. newsagents)
- 16 1968 (Thurs.) Gŵyl Fawr Aberteifi: Concert: Ryan Davies and Bryn Williams; Margaret Williams; Y Pelydrau; Bois y Ferwig; Cardigan Junior School Choir.
- 16 1900 (Wed.) New Bethania Organ opened by Dr. Roland Rogers, Bangor organist
- 1 1921 (Sun.) Price of butter dropped to 2s per lb
- 8 1949 (Fri.) Letter in the Tivy-side by ‘Interested of Newport, Pembs.’
‘Horse flesh in shops’
‘Many would like the Revd Ben Owen to explain more fully his statement in last week’s issue that prime Cardigan beef and mutton are sent to London and frozen Argentine meat and horse flesh are sent to Cardigan.
Are we to understand that Cardigan butchers have supplied horse flesh to regular customers as rationed meat?’
- 5 1978 (Wed.) Burial of Trevor Williams, 6 Williams Terrace, manager of the Pav.
- 5 1958 (Sat.) Famous Pwllheli Welsh Brown rock (no. 8) and the delicious “cyflaeth” home-made treacle toffee will be sold at the Market Buildings.
- 4 1973 (Wed.) A Romanian Choir, conducted by Marin Constantin, sang at Cardigan Secondary School.
- 4 1921 (Mon.) G. Picton Williams opened a tailoring establishment at Commerce House, formerly a part of the Commercial Hotel.
- 4 1827 (Wed.) William Andrews, an English tramp was charged with stealing old clothes. He was sentenced to death and hanged at Cardigan Gaol a few days later.
- 27 1970 (Fri.) Shops open for the first time on Good Friday.
- 27 1929 (Wed.) Cardigan WI formed.
- 25 1949 (Fri.) Tudor House Café and Restaurant opened, 21 High St (site Morgans the butcher). Prop. Mrs E M Cross.
- 25 1873 (Tues.) Meeting to form Independent Order of Good Templars (temperance movement). D M Palmer, headmaster in the chair.
- 23 1970 (Mon.) Eirwen Cleaners moves to 45 Pendre
- 23 1945 (Fri.)Ft Sergeant Ivor Radley home after 4 years in Middle East, North Africa and Italy.
- 22 1878 (Fri.) E. Ceredig Evans has opened his shop as chemist and druggist.
- 22 1865 (Wed.) Matron and Cook wanted for the Workhouse.
- 20 1970 (Fri.) Re-opening of Hodges Mens Shop, Pendre at 10.00 am. New suit for £16.16s!
- 20 1918 (Wed.) Burial of Carolina Joanna VANDE WALLE, St Mary St, 71, wife of Leudvircus (a Belgian Refugee)
- 18 1949 (Fri.) Mr David Jones Watts drapers (Cardigan) Ltd.) wishes to announce the arrival of a wide range of SPRING GOODS. These include a beautiful section of the famous Windsmoor Coats and costumes. and of other leading London stylists, both in Utility and Non-utility. Also a selective range of Wedding gowns and accessories. Old and new customers are strongly advised to visit our NEW SHOWROOMS at an early date to ensure a good choice. Cofiwch alw. Mae croeso cynnes i chwi i gyd.
- 18 1949 (Fri.) Shire Hall. Anything you need in furniture. Oak bedroom suite complete £46.13.3. 3-piece suite in all coverings and design £37.8.0d