10 July (1953) Who’s that? – Wally Barnes, of course!

  • 10 1953 (Fri.) Wally Barnes, Arsenal and Wales, was on holiday in Cardigan with his friend Aneurin James, Stepside Farm.
  • 10 1888 (Tues.) Foundation stone of the Brecon Old Bank was laid by Mrs. Lewis, wife of Mr. W. Lewis, J.P., the manager, in the presence of a large number of spectators.“The new building, when completed, will be very stately, and will form a very handsome addition to the business premises of the town.” The stone having been well and truly laid, the workmen, to the number of 44, were invited by the manager to a sumptuous dinner at the Coffee Tavern, prepared and served in first-class style by Mr. J. Carpenter.

1 February (1882) Opening of Bethania Vestry

  • 1 1950 (Wed.) Opening TSB bank in Kensington House. Opened by Mayor.
  • 1 1882 (Wed.) Bethania Vestry officially opened.
  • 1 1850 (Fri.) Sale of the smack ‘Anne & Mary’ at the White Hart Inn by David Roberts.

OPENING OF BETHANIA VESTRY (adapted from CTA 2.3.1882)

The Vestry was built to meet the demands of the numbers attending the Sunday School. Vestry contained: a library, retiring rooms, vestry, teachers’ rooms, boiler room and other conveniences at a cost of £510. The plan was presented to Revd John William as a token of respect, by John  Owens, a Liverpool architect. The inside was suitably decorated by Mrs R E Rees, who was also responsible for collecting £20–£30 towards the expenses. Master Johnny Evans George sold over 100 tickets towards the tea and concert.

The following were responsible for the decorations:

Miss Evans, Penrallt-Cadwgan; Mrs Williams, the minister’s wife; Capt J O Griffiths; Mrs Llewellyn (The Globe); Mr Richards; Mr David Thomas, Northgate Tce.; Mr John Bowen, Quay St; Mrs Thomas, Mwldan; Capt Evans, New Inn, William St.

Responsible for feeding the 500:

Miss Evans, Penrallt-Cadwgan; Mrs J O Griffiths, Emerald Ho., Pendre; Thomas Griffiths, Pendre; Mrs  Esau, Pendre; Mrs James, Northgate Tce.; Miss Mary Ann Thomas, Quay St.