Hannah Trollip (d. 14.01.1873, aged 37 years)
Wife of Jacob , a baker in High St. [Volks]; After her death he married Julia (d. 05.12.1877) and then married Letitia, who survived him.
John Evans, headmaster of the Board School (b. c.1865)
Native of Llanllawddog. Mayor in 1926–7 and 1940–1
Griffith John James, Finch Square (1869–18.09.1980)
Confectioner, treasurer at Bethania Chapel. Manufacturer of the finest ice-cream outside Italy!
J. Stephen Hughes (rtd. as Manager of Lloyds Bank 30.06.1938)
Brought up in Blaenffos. Member of St Mary’s; secretary of the Parochial Church Council. Retired to Gwalia Hall, Cilgerran. Treasurer to a number of local clubs and societies, including the Golf Club, Tivy-side Hunt, Fat Stock Show and many more.
John Henry Johns (17.09.1897–26.0.1982)
Relieving Officer. Lived at Palmyra, Feidrfair, later in Napier St. Possessed a rich singing voice. Precentor at Bethania Chapel.
James Thomas ‘Jim Commercial’ (b. 30.06.1879)
Licensee of the Commercial, Pendre for many years. Town Councillor, mayor in 1953.
Mrs James Thomas
Wife of James, licensee of the Commercial, Pendre.
Leonard V. D. Owen (1888–1952)
Born in Lion Terrace. Professor of History at Nottingham University. He was educated at Llandovery School and Keeble College Oxford, where he gained a first class honours degree in Modern History in 1911. Won the Stanhope Prize at Oxford. During the First World War, he served as captain in the 5th Battalion of the Oxford and Bucks Light infantry. He lectured at Bangor and Sheffield University before joining University College Nottingham in 1920 to become Professor of History. He was honorary president of University College’s History Society, a member of the Council of the Pipe Roll Society and a member of the Lincoln Record Society. Retired from the University of Nottingham in 1951. He had an interest in local history, was joint editor of the Thoroton Society of Notts, and wrote articles on a number of the manuscript sources. His published monographs include ‘The connection between England and Burgundy during the first half of the fifteenth century’ (1909). ‘England and the Low Countries 1405-1413’ in English Historical Review (1913). With R.L. Archer and A.E. Chapman, ‘The teaching of history in elementary schools’ (1916).
His brother David died during WWI and his name appears on the town Cenotaph.
Revd Griffith Thomas (d.20.05.1876)
Native of Llantood. Vicar of Cardigan.
Elizabeth Tattersall (d.11.07.1933, aged 76 yrs.)
Teacher at the Secondary School.
Margaret Skinner (d. Nov. 1911)
Ran the Sailor’s Home, 4 Pendre with her husband Richard Leonard. Member of Tabernacl (MC)
Dr Dan Rees, headmaster (d. 1938)
A native of Llandysul, he was educated at Gwilym Marles School, and William James school, Llandysul. Unitarian; Carmarthen Presbyterian College under Principal Evans; Aberystwyth College for 1 year where BA degree 1st divis (London). London Univ MA Classics. Oxford – awarded Hibbert Scholarship which he carried to Berlin and Leipsig, where he took his Doctorate in Philosophy and Celtic. Finally he went to Paris where he studied for six months at the Sorbonne. Appointed in 1897–1932; Married Elizabeth M Davies eldest daughter of Rev John Davies, Shrewsbury and had 1 son. Headmaster of Cardigan County School for 36 years. After his retirement he moved to Hastings. He had been unwell for some time, and on medical advice decided to take a holiday in Sicily. Whilst on the train at Lyon, in France he passed away. His wife was with him at the time. His remains were cremated in France.
‘Dr Dan Rees was not in the roll of common men. There was a distinction about hm which could not but impress all with whom he came in contact. He had that elusive thing called personality…
The schoolroom was his dukedom and here he wielded a daily influence the value of which it is impossible to estimate.’ editorial CTA 11.3.1938
William Roberts (1862–1912), author of the hymn-tune Bryngogarth
Born on 1 Oct. 1862 at 21 Castle St. Of frail physique; apprenticed as a carpenter but later a shop-keeper at the top of Bridge St. Learnt the rudiments of music from Benjamin Lewis, Blaenannerch. Violinist and harpist. Composed many hymn tunes for children. Died at age of 50. Buried at Blaenffos. Composed the famous hymn-tune Bryngogarth, named after the house of his minister Revd John Williams, Bethania, in Napier St.
David Morgan Palmer, headmaster (d. 17 May 1917, aged 84 yrs.)
A native of Llanfallteg. ‘For many years ran the Collegiate School very successfully, and afterwards became for a brief period headmaster of the newly started Intermediate School.’ J W James
David John Parry, Netpool (1907–1976)
Clerk at the local Ministry of Labour in Pendre.
John Young (1816–3.12.1887) and Hannah, his wife (b. 1814)
A native of Ferwig. Bootmaker working in William St. Member of Bethania. Eldest son was Samuel (below).
Samuel Young (1851–19.02.1928)
Son of John and Hannah (above). Married 1) Ellen Griffiths in 1878, and 2) Minnie Ridgeway in 1908. Graduated from Oxford. Maltster at Pendre. Lived at Bronwydd House, St Mary’s St. Town Councillor. Mayor of Cardigan in 1908 and 1921. Member of Bethania.
William J. Williams (18.05.1864–14.02.1942)
Native of Manian Fawr, St Dogmael’s. Solicitor. Member of Cardigan Borough Council in 1891. Mayor in 1896. Liberal in politics. Member of Bethania Chapel. Lived at Penralltddu.
David Williams (1867–1955)
Lived at No. 6 Greenfield Row. In 1911 he was a carriage and motor works foreman. Secretary of Bethania Chapel for 52 years. Past President of the Cards. & Carms. Baptist Association; and treasurer of the Cards. Baptist Association. He was a former secretary of the Glanteify Lodge of Oddfellows. Founder member of Cardigan Lodge of Loyal Order of Moose. Town councillor for 26 years, and mayor in 1932–3.
He was buried at Blaenwaun, St Dogmaels.
Mary Wilson, Macclesfield, hawker, 25 year old inmate at Cardigan Gaol, 1871.
An extremely rare photograph of the inside of the gaol.
Andrew James Morgan (d. 21.10.1941, aged 23 yrs.)
Lived in 20 Eben’s Lane. Merchant Navy during WW2. Drowned on board the SS Treverbyn. His name is engraved on the town Cenotaph (below). Brother of Edwin, below.
Edwin Morgan (d.19.2.1978)
Lived at Maeshenffordd. Local Postman. Brother of the above Andrew.
Left: Willie Jeremiah (1919–2011)
Lived in Greenfield Row.
Right: Arthur Jones (1928–91)
Lived in Greenfield Row, later Maesglas.
Alfred W. R. Sulman (1895–1979) Native of Skeyton, Norfolk.
Lived at the Drawbridge and Maeshenffordd.