Census day 2 April: population = 2599
(1861 = 2706)
(decrease due to migration to the industrial centres of Glamorgan)
- Apr New Gates were built in front of the Gaol
- 29/4 First recorded Barley Sat (in CTA).
- May 22/5 Mon Cannon was placed in front of Guildhall
- Jun Sir Thomas D. Lloyd MP for the Boroughs gave a cheque of £2.00 to the Mayor (Ald. J. J. Jones) to mount the Cannon (presented to commemorate the Crimean War (1853–55) – saved from Lower Market
- Alterations to Bridge
- 27/6 Public holiday on wedding of David Griffith Davies of Pantygrwndy and Miss Arabella Berrington.
- Jul Edmond’s Menagerie
- Aug Brickworks – William Woodward took over
- Sept Horticultural Show held in Market
- Oct 4/5 Annual meetings of Ebenezer Wesleyan Chapel
- Oct 21 /10 NP Bank opened 26 Quay Street
- Nov 1 Out of 14 persons nominated to contest Town Co., elections, 13 had withdrawn. Co refused to accept resignations of 3 retiring clrs. and another former councillor. Threatened with a £50 fine. W W Smith; Thomas Edwards, merchant; Thomas Parker, Black Lion, John Lewis, Royal Arms.
- Nov Mayor W W Smith to carry out work of predecessors to lay curbs, channels and pavements on the streets.
The following were buried in St Mary’s Church cemetery:
- Lewis, Lewis, draper 12/01/1871 aged 46 C26
- Lloyd, Jane wi of David, master mariner /03/1871 aged 50 MPN12
- Jones, David H., late of Birmingham 18/04/1871 aged 35 MPL15
- Thomas, Mary dau of Thomas & Eleanor 27/04/1871 aged 51 MPE15
- Davies, Anne gwraig James 03/06/1871 71ml MPH11
- Llewellyn, William, commercial traveller 20/07/1871 aged 28 HPW76
- Edwards, Lettice Rowlands 14/09/1871 aged 43 HPW25
- Lloyd, N… , mariner 21/09/1871 aged 34 EW20
- Slender, Nicholas d accidentally 28/09/1871 aged 38 MPH9
- Sais, James 28/09/1871 aged 77 MPK6
- Richards, John son of Richard & Elizabeth 03/10/.1871 aged 20 RMPW11
- Evans, Elizabeth gwraig Thomas, Lion Tce 20/10/1871 yn 49 HPW102
- Owens, James second son drowned on a voyage from Shields to Mollendo 12/1871 aged 35 HPW16
- Williams, David, High St, bookseller 04/12/1871 aged 47 MPN11
- Bowen, Anne dau of Owen & Margaret, Bridge St d at Hereford 20/12/1871 aged 25 FHPW25