- 14 1879 (Mon) CARDIGAN BRICK, TILE & POTTERY WORKS are glad to be able to announce that Messrs. Miles, Woodward and Co. have again secured the contract for the supply of Her Majesty’s Dock-yard at Pembroke for the ensuing year, and have already received an order for 100,000 bricks which has to be completed forthwith. The contract in-cludes the supply of all pipes and pottery required in the dockyard during the year.
- 13 1921 (Wed.) Cardigan Flat, Hurdle and Trotting Races in Greenland Meadows
- 13 1878 (Sat.) Police Inspector Davies resigns on a full pension of £1.2.7.
- 12 1985 (Fri.) Civic reception for Hywel Davies, winner of the Grand National on Last Suspect.
- 11 1819 (Sun.) Albion weighed anchor and crossed Cardigan Bar ready for the voyage to Newfoundland.
- 10 1970 (Fri.) The price of the Tivy-side goes up to 8d (3p)
- 10 1950 (Mon.) Easter Monday Cup Final at Cilgerran. A crowd of 1400 watch a ‘9 goal thriller’. Cardigan Town 6 Aberaeron 3
- 10 1680 (Sat.) Diligence of Lancaster, master Richard Reeder sailed to Beaumaris with a cargo of 8 tons of salt.
- 9 1958 (Mer.) Services to unveil a memorial to the Revd Esaia Williams at 2.00. In the evening sermons by Revd Humphrey Ellis, Caernarfon and Revd John Thomas, Blaenywaun
- 9 1949 (Sat.) Parade of Vehicles by Territorial Army. The 1584 (G.T.) County RASC (TA) – 3 ton lorries, armoured cars, breakdown vehicle, motorcycles & workshop equipment.
- 9 1842 (Sat.) Triton set sail for Quebec
- 8 1949 (Fri.) Letter by ‘Interested of Newport, Pembs.’
‘Horse flesh in shops’
‘Many would like the Revd Ben Owen to explain more fully his statement in last week’s issue that prime Cardigan beef and mutton are sent to London and frozen Argentine meat and horse flesh are sent to Cardigan.
Are we to understand that Cardigan butchers have supplied horse flesh to regular customers as rationed meat?’