- 31 1888 (Sat.) Death of Asa J. Evans at his residence, Pen’ralltcadwgan, near Rhoshill, at 2.30 p.m., after a lingering illness, extending over a period of nearly three years.
A solicitor who was the senior partner of the firm of Messrs. Asa and Ivor Evans, solicitors, Green-street. He was a town councillor, and chosen mayor in 1875 and 1876. A Liberal in politics, and a member of the Baptist cause, he had held several important offices, not the least being that of solicitor to the Baptist Association, which office he held for many years. He also acted in the same capacity for the South Cardiganshire Calvinistic Methodist Association. In conjunction with a number of others, he was instrumental in doing away with Church rates in the locality, he having gone as far as to allow his goods to be sold by way of protest against them.
‘Cardigan have suffered a severe loss in the death of Ald. Evans, and it will be long ere a leader of equal acumen and experience will be found to fill his place’.
THE FUNERAL: He was buried on 5 April Thursday at Penybryn burying ground. The funeral cortege was an exceedingly large and imposing one—a large number of ministers, the Mayor of Cardigan (in his robes of office), attended by the Town Clerk, Borough Treasurer, Members of the Corporation, and the Macebearers, headed the procession, which included about forty vehicles, a large number of horsemen and pedestrians, and extended nearly half-a-mile.
The service in the house (Pen’ralltcadwgan) was conducted by the Rev. W. Evans, Cilgerran, before reaching Penybryn Baptist Chapel, where the service was held, and addresses were delivered by the Revs. Mr. Griffiths (Bethel), Mr. Davies (Tyrhos), Mr. Jenkins (Newport.), Mr. Thomas (Blaenffos), Wm. Jones (C.M., Cardigan), Mr. G. Hughes (Cardigan), Mr. T. Phillips (Verwig), and others. At the graveside Rev. John Williams (Bethania, Cardigan), and R. Price (Cilfowyr) officiated.
- 30 1985 (Sat.) Hywel Davies’s big day winning the Grand National on Last Suspect at 50-1
- 30 1908 (Mon.) Freemasons formed at Black Lion. Earliest members included William Woodward, David Davies solicitor, Llewelyn Davies, schoolmaster, D. Lloyd Jones, bank manager, G. W. Potter, Dr George E. Jones, Jenkin Jones, H. Nicholson, and M. L. Jones.
- 30 1970 (Mon.) Tudor James, 7 Priory St., takes over newspaper round from J. C. Roberts, High St.
- 29 1987 (Sun.) Reopening of Tabernacle – rebuilt 1776, 1807, 1832; refurbished 1864, 1902 and 1986.
- 29 1885 (Sun.) Jane Thomas prop. of the Tivy-side. Buried in St Mary’s Cemetery, Thurs 2 April.
- 29 1877 (Thurs.) Launching of the MARGARET & ANN (Y Llong Lestri). Last ship built at Cardigan. The owners were Capt. Evan Parry, Tresaith and Owen Jones, merchant, Llangrannog. It was built by Messrs. John Williams and son. 28 tns. (lost off St Anne’s Head 1919).
- 28 1688 (Mon.) Neptune of Ilfracombe brought 9 tons of timber from Barmouth.
- 27 1970 (Fri.) Shops open for the first time on Good Friday.
- 27 1929 (Wed.) Cardigan WI formed.
- 26 1969 (Mer.) Burial of Thomas Jeremiah, 80, 8 Eben’s Lane, who survived the sinking of the HMS Majestic, which sank on 27 May 1915. The ship was taking part in the Gallipoli Campaign. Local sailors were saved: Tom Parry Jenkins, George and Peter Davies, Willie Davies, Tommy Jeremiah, Tom Jones, David Jones, John Jones and David Williams – apart from one – Tom Evans, St Dogmaels.
- 25 1949 (Fri.) Tudor House Café and Restaurant opened, 21 High St (site Morgans the butcher). Mrs E M Cross.
- 25 1873 (Tues.) Meeting was held to form Independent Order of Good Templars (temperance movement). D M Palmer, headmaster in the chair.
- 24 1892 (Iau) Death of Mrs Mary James, College Row, 75 years old.
- 23 1970 (Mon.) Eirwen Cleaners moves to 45 Pendre.
- 23 1945 (Fri.)Ft Sergeant Ivor Radley home after 4 years in Middle East, North Africa and Italy.
- 22 1878 (Fri.) E. Ceredig Evans opened his shop as chemist and druggist.
- 22 1865 (Wed.) Advert for Matron and Cook for the Workhouse.